Pages

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A flash exercise

One evening I went for a walk in Scheveningen. I decided to take a photo of a lantern in the ambient light only.  On the spur of the moment I decided to make it into a flash usage exercise. I did not have my ordered Metz lamp yet, so I had to rely on the D700 built in flash. It turned out, that there are times, when even such limited flash is of great use.

The first photo I took turned out quite dark.



I put the flash compensation to -2, to avoid that the flash will dominate the picture. It would be useless anyway, since it has not reach to get up to the horizon. The result was this photo.



It looks much better to me, even if I used only the D700 built in flash. I decided to take one more photo, this time with the flash compensation set to -3. The result you can see below.



This cannot be called a Strobist exercise though. The flash was on camera, and I did not tweaked it in manual mode;-)

No comments: